Monday, May 21, 2012

Whoa, has it been too long to post about some potatoes?

So, it's been a long time and I didn't realize how much I missed the simple act of sitting here and writing about the most exciting part of our days...eating good food.  As I have looked back through this blog with time to reflect on how the ways my own eating habits have changed and cycled, I have watched as I have come full circle, squarely landing on whole foods with plants as the star center.  I think it's easy to over-think our diets today as our options for food have expanded way way way beyond what would be available to scavenge from the woods, and disease and the media have stretched our perceptions about how almost every food can kill us and how every food can heal us...the dilemma is bigger now than ever.  Stress takes over our lives and we forget how to enjoy the very wonderful and powerful pleasure of gently preparing whole ingredients in to a sensual experience that nourishes our bodies and minds and keeps us healthy for what may come...which is life, but in these times we are consuming foods that prepare us less and are we living lives that demand more.  OK, so enough of the little black letters that depending on what mood you're in might make sense or might sound like a bunch of rubbish...I am sorry to those who enjoy reading my posts since it has been so long, but that little thing called LIFE has really been taking a toll on me lately but I am proud to say that even though it's about 8 years late, I have graduated from Clemson University with a bachelor's degree in Food Science with a focus in dietetics...woohoo!!!  I have missed this blog and I regret not committing more time to keeping it fresh, so for that I will expand my horizons while always keeping it simple from now on.  I encourage anyone reading these posts to share with me your own experiences so that we can all learn about eating, living, gardening, and feeling well.  I'll kick it off with a fast and fresh recipe that is straight from the garden...Herb Roasted Taters with Oregano, Purple Basil, and Dill.
Alright, this happens to be my favorite way to eat potatoes.  I should have some red potatoes to harvest out in the garden, but I used some that I had in the kitchen this time.  However, my red basil, oregano, and dill are straight from the garden, and if I had a few goats or a dairy cow I might have made the yogurt too, but the Greek yogurt on the side here came from Trader Joe's and I'm pretty sure it is better than any yogurt I could make.
So, for these taters, all you need is a sprig or two of fresh herbs...you can pick whatever you like...chop them up fine, quarter about 6-8 small red potatoes, chop a glove of garlic, throw it all in a bowl with 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and a couple pinches of salt and toss it all together until the herbs coat the potatoes.


  Throw them in a 400 degree preheated oven, skin side down until you can stick a toothpick through the taters with no effort.  Serve 'em up with a nice side of Greek yogurt for dipping and you have yourself a little pre-dinner pleaser that rocks!


No comments:

Post a Comment