Sunday, October 31, 2010

Gluten free and breakfast

It's a beautiful Fall Saturday morning, and what better way to start the day than a good breakfast.   If you've read the first post in this blog (probably 3 people that incidentally already know all of this, but in the case that anyone ever stumbles across this information later on...) you may be wondering why food has caused such a detrimental time in my life.  A large part of the whole shebang is a little thing called gluten.  I owe a lot of what I know about this protein to my mother, who cared about my welfare more than most mothers would, and who did a ton of research in a quest to find out what the hell was wrong with me.  To make a long story short, I obviously had all of the symptoms of  gluten intolerance which, if you don't know, is a digestive sensitivity to a protein called gluten that is contained in all wheat, barley, and rye products.  Take a moment to think about how many of the foods you eat that have these things in them, especially wheat, and get ready to gasp.  Quickly, symptoms include but are not limited to: depression, fatigue, lack of concentration, diarrhea, bloating, cramping, lack of nutrient absorption, abdominal pain, joint pain, general pain, not going to school and acting like a jerk....OK you get the point.  So let's move on because at this point, it's coming up on ten years since I was lucky enough to find out that I was sensitive to gluten - so I have well adapted to not eating foods that contain it, even though I do slip on occasion I have lately devoted to not making any exceptions.  You will notice that none of the recipes I include or will include have a traditional bread item in them, and one reason for this is to do away with refined carbohydrates, the other reason being gluten intolerance.  So this morning I have included a new recipe of mine which is gluten-free pancakes from scratch - they were actually incredible to my surprise.......here ya go
1 Cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
1/2 tbsp Peanut oil
1 large egg
2 tbsp honey (in place of refined sugar)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp baking soda
This made (8) 4 inch pancakes so we'll call one serving 4 pancakes
The Red Mill flour is made of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour, and fava bean flour.  Do not taste the batter!! It is not representative of the finished product.  We use 100% pure maple syrup for our pancakes - that's just one ingredient - pure maple syrup- which has 210 calories and 53g carbohydrates per 1/4 cup - so if you're cutting calories you are out of luck, but if you're cutting refined calories you're fine!

Finally-for each serving - 7.5g fat, 325 calories, 9g protein, and 61g carbohydrates - then add your syrup and screw the whole carb./calories thing up right!!  Keep in mind that peanut oil has 7g fat per 1/2 tbsp, but 2.5g of that is polyunsaturated fat, and 3g of it is monounsaturated, 0 trans fat, and only 1.25 g saturated fat, not that there is anything wrong with saturated fat - it tastes good I know that!!  Well that was a lot to read, I hope you try the pancakes -

No comments:

Post a Comment