Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Almost as Promised.....Salmon Quiche

Low carb., gluten free delicacy right here - the salmon quiche.  I know I promised tuna, but I wanted to try something new and I've been there done that with the tuna.  Either way, who knew fish quiche could be so dang good?  This one smells awesome while cooking in the oven - gets the mouth all watering and stomach growling and I can't even eat it tonight 'cause it's for tomorrow - I already had dinner tonight.  It's OK, this one is worthy of dreams, and I'm sure I will have a few bites before I even wake up.  OK, I'll shut up now - here is all the great items you will need:
3.5 cups pink wild Alaskan salmon (2 regular sized cans)
5 eggs
1 cup whole milk (I used raw milk from the new store in Easley, Back to Nature)
2.5 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup mushrooms (I use canned organic)
1 pack of frozen chopped spinach
1 white onion chopped and 3 cloves garlic chopped also
Butter
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

OK, here we go....saute the onion and garlic for just a few minutes in a little olive oil and about a tbsp butter.
Throw the thawed spinach in the pan along with the shrooms and the salmon (eat the bones first, they are delicious!!).  Stir it all up and let it all warm up nicely and incorporate together.  While this is going, beat the eggs and the milk together in a bowl and set to the side.  Preheat the oven to 350.  Butter a baking pan liberally, about 9 X 13, salt and pepper the salmon mixture and pour it in the buttered pan.  Grate the cheese and mix it in well with the salmon mixture.  Pour the egg and milk mixture over the salmon mixture and mix it all together, and then evenly distribute the mixture in the pan.  Put it in the oven for about an hour or until it doesn't jiggle anymore when you shake it a little bit.  I actually turned the oven down to 300 after about 40 minutes so that it would cook more evenly.  That's it, you are done with salmon quiche and now, well after it cools for a while (unless you are Mandy, and then you can eat it straight from the oven because you have no feeling in your tongue) you can eat salmon quiche and experience one of life's little amazing joys!!  Sorry, that was way too dramatic...the salmon quiche is really, really good.  Enjoy!!
The rundown - I cut the whole thing in to about 15 individual pieces about 2.5" by 2.5".  Each piece has 3.8g carbohydrates, 20.5g protein, 18g fat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment